Tuesday, February 17, 2015

WHEELCHAIR BAG

This is the new wheelchair bag!  The depth of the bag I increased, so  a water/ juice flask could fit inside.  I also added a open tab for this container so there would be less possibility of spillage.  The pattern can be found HERE.

  There are two inside pockets, with the outer front of the bag having two pockets also.  They run across the width of the bag.    I thought  elastic would work better in the pockets, preventing items from slipping out.

   A key tab has been placed on the front side for easy access.  The outside zipper pocket could safely carry a cell phone, and/or  other valuables.

 I plan on using both bags for the tutorial,so you can decide what you would and wouldn't want.  I think the basic measurements (other than the depth)  are the same, with a slight difference in design.

Before proceeding with making a wheelchair bag,  please check the distance from the armrest to the top of the wheel.  They all vary quite a bit!  The armrests can also vary in size.

This bag is fairly small for use on the back of the chair, but it could work, if you wanted to increase the numbers.

If there is anything  I could do to enhance these bags and make them more serviceable please let me know.  Another design? More pockets? Different attachment?  I'm more than willing to work with someone to find something suitable for their needs.  Thank you!




This is the original wheelchair bag!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Just about finished ! Lots of pics! I'm using the blue bag for the tutorial and adding sections for making the other one since they're just a bit different! That way people have their choice, and I only have to do one tutorial for two bags!! : )

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I am looking for exactly something like this for a walker bag. I need a tote that can carry my newspaper and larger things in a deeper center pocket as well as pocckets in the front. Can't wait to see the tutorial. I want to quilt the bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! I love the idea of quilting the bag as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the design of the bag! Do you know when the tutorial will be posted? Going to make this for my niece who is a resident in a nursing facility. Thanks so much for offering a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest Marge! I'm working on the tutorial now, plus having to work a few shifts. I tried the bag on wheelchairs at work, and you have to be careful how much room you have between the armrest and wheel. I will make a diagram once the tutorial is complete. Please check back or you can sign up for e-mails and you'll get the post. How is that for a sales pitch!! : ) Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  5. Hi Linda, the sales pitch worked!!:) I signed-up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, Marge! Thank you, & welcome! ; )

      Delete
    2. The tutorial is just about finished!.

      Delete
    3. Hey Linda, I'm waiting, waiting ,waiting.............I know it will be great:)

      Delete
    4. can't wait .....hurry please...no pressure :-) but I already have my fabric purchased

      Delete
    5. my issue in a wheelchair bag is that my chair is wide ( as am I ) and I keep ripping purses off the side when I go thru a door so.... I need to make one longer so that things don't push out thick and /or I need to be able to somehow unclip and move it to the front as I go through a doorframe


      any suggestions ???

      Delete
    6. Hi Cori ! Thank you for your interest. Would you please contact me by e-mail? I have a few questions for you. Thank you! mslindaspears@yahoo.ca seems to work the best.

      Delete
  6. A bag that goes on the inside of the armrest. I think it would be much safer, for wallets, phones, etc. Loved the pink camo one that you made for the woman with the pink chair. I just wish I could sit up at the table long enough to use my machine and make my own :( Great stuff! I am thinking about trying a crochet bag since I can do that in the comfort of my bed. Any suggestions on that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany, I am thinking of the smaller lunch bags that are out now. You could add velcro straps, and they would work really well (on the outside), as long as you had enough room from the wheel to the arm. The problem with the bag inside the chair, is that most people fit their chair. A crocheted bag would alleviate some of the space problem. Another idea, which I have used at work is a pouch with magnetic flap, & an adjustable strap which fits around the neck. The woman actually wrapped the strap around the arm of her chair instead, and it hung inside. There was enough space for her cell phone, a comb, change and cards. The pouch had a small zipper opening on the back side of the pouch which secured the items. Hope this has been of some help, and if I think of anything else, I will let you know. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete

Would love to hear from you!