Saturday, August 8, 2015

A SIMPLE INEXPENSIVE BABY BLANKET - mini tutorial



Now here's a little baby blanket!  The main fabric was $1.00 m. and the flannel on the back was $4.00 m. plus the cost of Hobb's batting.  The whole project was really inexpensive!  Oh yes, the border was $3.00, and there's enough scraps to make a few patchwork potholders or mug rugs.... or what-have-you!

I quilted using squiggly lines, as I haven't had the opportunity to practice free motion quilting much, but I do like this look.

This would be a great project for a novice!   I would like to make a few more myself.  There are craft sales coming up in the fall, so these blankets would be ideal.  They would make a nice, useful baby gift as well!

Here's a few directions!  If you need any help, e-mail me at lindaspears49@gmail.com   I'd be more than happy to help.


Supplies & Directions for a 35" x 35" Blanket

1 m. of cotton
1 m. of flannel
.4 m for the 3" binding or you could sew scraps together from fabric you already have.
1 m. of Hobbs batting (don't trim)  They usually give you an inch or more extra.
Contrasting thread
Temporary adhesive spray

  • press the cotton fabric, placing it face down.. 
  • spray the back of the fabric with the adhesive spray.   
  • Add the Hobbs batting, making it approximately 1" larger than the cotton fabric.
  • Spray the adhesive lightly on the batting.  
  • Add the back piece of flannel right side up, sandwiching the batting between the two pieces. 
  •  Quilt whatever pattern you want. (I usually start down the center).
  • Square the fabric. 
  •  Zigzag around the outside edge of the blanket.
  • Cut out the binding pieces. ( There are excellent binding tutorials listed on YouTube by Craftsy Gemini as well as others).
The binding is really non-life threatening!  I'm able to do a better job after a few blankets...it takes practice!  Infact I'll let you in on a little secret...I really enjoy hand sewing the binding on now.  I find it so relaxing!   If I can do it you can too!  Happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous baby quilt, great fabric, I love it, what a bargain too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! It's one of my favorites...maybe because of the simplicity! It really is so easy to make.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you!