Tuesday, March 8, 2016

RETREAT BAG - Free Tutorial



 I absolutely love these Retreat Bags, and plan on making one!...maybe more!.   They come in two sizes, small and large.  Even the small one is large enough to contain all your cosmetic needs plus!

The top contains a wire frame, which I've never worked with, but I was assured they were not difficult to insert.

You can find this Retreat Bag at Emmaline Bags.

Pattern instructions are provided in both imperial and metric measurements.  It is geared towards a beginner to intermediate sewer.

This is the bag I just finished.  I used vinyl and cotton, and added a "Homemade" metal label to the front.

The vinyl was quite thin so I had no problem sewing it.    Pressing the bag was initially a challenge as I couldn't put the iron near the vinyl.  I used a pressing cloth which worked well once I had figured it out.

The internal wire frames in the top, which keep the bag open are easy to install.  This is my first time using them.

The only thing I would do differently is add some  quilt batting or bosal  to the bag.  I did use a heavy interfacing, but I think the other would work better.  All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out.

1 comment:

  1. A very smart retreat bag, love the colours and style. Like the idea of the wire frames to keep bag open, very handy.
    queenie

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!